We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
How to find your style with these simple living room wall decor ideas.
Your living room is more than just a room in your apartment – it is a place where you can relax, unwind, and entertain guests. The walls of your living room provide an opportunity to transform the space into something truly special. Here are some tips and tricks on how to decorate your living room walls with the perfect wall decor.
Identify Your Living Room Wall Decor Options
One of the first things you should do when planning your living room wall decor is to decide on which type of wall decor you want to use. Wall decor options are unlimited, and can include items like frames, mirrors, artwork, shelves, and wallpaper.
Here are a few of my favorite living room wall decor ideas:
- Frames – Picture frames can be a classic choice, both simple and elegant. Mixing different sizes and arrangement types can really add to your decor.
- Mirrors – Mirrors can enhance the overall lighting of the living room and make the space look bigger. You could strategically place them to reflect a painting or a unique piece of furniture.
- Artwork – Bold, colorful artwork could be used to make a statement and become the focal point of the room. You could use prints or paintings, or even showcase some of your own art.
- Shelves – Shelves with unique accessories and ornamental shapes are a fun way to showcase some personal details of your space. You could also use floating shelves or bookcases to display plenty of objects without occupying extra floor space.
- Wallpaper – Stylish, patterned wallpaper could make your space stand out from the rest. You could also choose a more subdued paper that complements your decor and furniture.
Consider Color Schemes and Lighting
Another aspect to consider while decorating your living room walls is the colors and lighting. Take a look at the other elements in your space – the furniture, flooring, and fixtures. If you want a more calming and relaxing room, try to create a more monochromatic color scheme. To make your living room more playful and energetic, feel free to add pops of bright colors.
Lighting is also pivotal in this process. It could be the mood setter for the entire room. If you have a piece of artwork you love and want to highlight, place it under a spotlight or find ways to accentuate the contrasts in its colors.
Symmetrical vs. Asymmetrical Wall Designs
To create a more subtle or sharp look depending on you preference, you could go either for symmetrical or asymmetrical designs. Symmetrical wall designs involve equally spaced elements, such as frames, a grid wallpaper pattern or geometric decor elements.
Whereas, asymmetrical designs are more free-form, with different sizes and shapes that don’t have to match symmetrically. If you decide to go asymmetrical, make sure to pay attention to the placement. You don’t want to leave large, empty spaces that make your design look strange.
Grouping Ideas to Enhance Wall Arrangements
Lastly, once you’ve identified your living room wall decor preferences, it is time to decide on the optimal sizing, spacing, and grouping for a cohesive look.
- Hanging frames at eye-level height, according to Tate Museum rules, is an easy way to make your paintings look proportionate to your space and also preserve their delicate frames from scratches.
- For asymmetrical grouping decor, it’s important to play around with the positioning of the pieces until you find the right balance.
- Choose a color palette that compliments one another to keep your living room walls looking uniform and clean.
Remember, there is no single right way to decorate your living room walls. Experiment with different layouts and designs, until you find the perfect arrangement to achieve the desired look you want to create for your space. Happy decorating!